Sunday, December 13, 2009

Baked Chimichanga's



This is a 'healthy' version of a chimi.  Not fried, baked.  And it turns out nice and crispy.  I got this recipe from "Apples of Gold", a bible study that my church did a couple of years ago.  These freeze well too.  I flash freeze them, then if I can grab just one serving, or several.

6 seven or eight inch tortilla shells
1/2 tsp salt
1 # ground chicken  (I put cooked chicken in a food processor to get a fine texture)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 cup chopped green chilies
1/4 cup salsa (hot, med. or mild)
1/4 cup refried beans
1/4 cup sour cream
1 cup cheese
melted butter

Mix all ingredients well.
Soften tortilla shells in microwave for 10 seconds.
Put 1/3 cup filling in center of tortilla shell.  Roll one turn then turn sides in and continue to roll until chimi is formed.  Place each chimi seam side down, in a lightly greased baking pan.  Brush top and bottom of each chimi lightly with the melted butter.  Bake at 425 for 20 minutes.

This can also be made with beef or pork.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, Chellie!! Your rice looks great too! Have you ever shared your rice recipe?? Do you have a salsa recipe that you like??
    Love your blog ~ keep up the great work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I didn't see your post earlier...
    I think here, I just mixed in some black beans with the rice. Nothing special. For salsa, when I have my garden, I do like to make fresh salsa, with tomatoes, onion, green pepper and sometimes a tiny bit of jalepeno seeded. But, no real recipe. Thanks for checking in, I'm always excited to get comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete