Friday, June 4, 2010

Scallion Cornbread Muffins

These were very good.  I wasn't sure I would like the scallions in them.  I have another corn bread recipe that I like pretty well and it actually has corn in it.  It's just the right blend of sweet and not sweet.  I was pleasantly surprised with these!

Vegetable oil
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbs buttermilk
2 tbs oil (substitute unsweetened applesauce if you want to cut down on fat)
1 large egg whisked
1/4 cup chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 450.  Lightly grease 6 cups of a standard size muffin pan wiht vegetable oil.
combine dry ingredients and make a well.  combine wet ingredients and scallions and pour into well.  Stir until just blended.  Fill muffin cups 2/3rds full and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 10-13 minutes.

I actually got 6 muffins plus 6 mini muffins.  When I had more batter, I knew the kids would like small heart shaped muffins. Excellent with cucumber-celery salad and buttermilk chicken.  Sorry no picture of this one, everyone gobbled them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment