Friday, June 4, 2010

French twist




Here's a twist on french toast and stuffed french toast.  That may not make sense, but here's the recipe.  I just felt inspired one morning.  It's really quite simple, but it was just different enough.  Not too sweet either

Vegetable Oil
4 slices whole wheat or whole grain bread
3 eggs
2 tbs milk
dash of cinnamon
sliced strawberries
cream cheese

Preheat large skillet to med-high with a good amounts of vegetable oil.  It should more than just coat the pan, I don't usually measure, but I'd guess with about 1/4 cup.  Hey, I didn't say this was a non fat recipe... but did you notice the whole grain bread?  Whisk together the eggs, milk and cinnamon.  Once the skillet is ready, dip your bread in the egg mixture, coat it well and place in the skillet.  It should sizzle!  This makes a nice golden crunchy outside.  As far as I'm concerned, this is the secret to great french toast!  Once it is browned, flip it and brown the other side.  Then keep it in a warm oven until toast is done.  Spread cream cheese on and top with strawberries.  My daughter wanted a sandwhich, so she had a strawberry sandwhich and thougth that was pretty groovy.

1 comment: