Monday, October 5, 2009

Italian Chicken


Tonight was one of those nights where I knew I had food, but no real plans for dinner. So this is one of my quick and easy recipes, but very flavorful. As a side I served pasta with my home made pasta sauce (which I retrieved from my freezer) and I will include that recipe as well. Often times in cooking, I go by smell or taste, so sometimes you will find I have no measurements. That is the case with today's post. Just remember, baking is a science, but cooking is an art.


ingredients:
bone in chicken breast
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Italian seasoning


Pasta sauce
10-12 tomatoes
basil, oregano, and/or any blend of Italian seasonings
4-6 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
1 large onion, chopped
grated carrots (3-4)
grated zucchini (1)
grated summer squash (1)
1 large can (28oz) of tomato sauce (I prefer something w/no sugar)
1 16 oz can of tomato paste


You can use vegetables of your choice. I happen to have alot of carrots, zucchini and squash from my garden this summer. The tomatoes also came from my garden


Preheat the oven to 350. spread e.v.o.o. over the chicken and under the skin. coat heavily with Italian seasoning over and under the skin. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Bone in breasts always take longer, I usually start checking it at 30 minutes just to be safe.


For the sauce:
chop the onion and saute in evoo until tender, 5-6 min. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Blend the tomatoes in a food processor, and add to the pot. add the remaining ingredients and simmer. The longer you simmer, the more flavor will come out. cool completely and place in jars or containers and freeze. You can also add meat at the time of making the sauce or when you decide to serve it. You'll get about 6 quarts or so of sauce if you use the estimated amounts. This is so easy to customize and always very flavorful. Plus it's good for you with all the extra veggies, and if you grate them, or throw them in your food processor as well, no one will even know they're in there! Great for picky eaters. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment