Monday, December 19, 2011

SRC: Pesto Pecan Chicken




This month for the Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog Apron Strings.  The authors of this blog are Donna and Anne, a mother daughter duo who have an awesome story.  I have to admit, I was a little scared when I first saw their blog.  Anne was on the Food Network, and Donna has written several cookbooks!  Yikes!  I thought, these ladies are way beyond me.  But, after browsing a bit, I realized what an honor to cook something off of this blog!  They have lots of awesome recipes and I chose one that is extremely simple but most flavorful. Yes, they are way beyond me in their skills, but I'm so happy they are willing to blog and share their talents with the world.  D and A... You women are an inspiration in many ways.

So, I chose pesto pecan Chicken.  My husband re-named it Pesto Pecan Pollo, just get 3 P's in there.  But this recipe is 3 ingredients!  Yes, just 3 and it was incredibly delicious!

4 oz jar pesto
3/4 cup pecans finely chopped
4 chicken breasts

The only adjustment I made was to use home made pesto, because I had made some this fall and froze it.  I love when I have stuff already on hand.  Also a couple of my chicken breasts were quite thick, so I fillet'd (I do not know how to spell fillet in past tense) them, and actually got 6 pieces of chicken.  Or, as Apron Strings recommends, you could pound them between 2 pieces of wax paper to thin them out.

Preheat the oven to 425.

Season your chicken with salt and pepper.  Salt and pepper don't actually count as ingredients.  Spread a thick layer of pesto sauce on each chicken breast.

Then top them with the pecans, and press them down a bit.


Bake in the oven loosely covered for 15 min.  Then remove the foil and bake the remaining 15 minutes.  Starting out with the chicken covered will help the pecans to not get too dark or over done.  Depending on the size of your chicken, you may not need the full 30 minutes, just make sure you check it.

This dish was sooooo good!  We loved it!  Thanks Apron Strings!  Be sure to check out their blog for lots more great recipes.  Also, if you'd like more info on the Secret Recipe Club, go here for more info.  Plus you will find tons and tons of great blogs and fabulous food on there!  Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. This is a great idea for homemade frozen pesto. I have quite a bit of it in the freezer that needs used. Great SRC post and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chellie, this recipe looks amazing!!! I can't wait to try it!
    Thank you SO very much for your Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie recipe - we absolutely LOVED them!!
    I really enjoyed "stalking" you and I look forward to visiting you more often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great chicken recipe - fantastic flavors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a super idea, I bet it tasted fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy looking chicken. You got a great blog and picked a wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recipe and love the combo of flavors. I had this blog a few months ago as my assignment and boy they have some wonderful recipes. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you. Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pesto Pecan Pollo, 3 p's, 3 ingredients love it. It doesn't always take a lot of ingredients to make something good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I seriously love pesto! So good with lots of foods, great post and glad to find you :)
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chellie! One of the best things about SRC is discovering bloggers like you. Thanks so much for your kind words! We love cooking and blogging, and are so happy we connected with you. Now, I'm going back to my blog, add your link to the pesto chicken post and add the clever name "PPP" ~ Happy Holidays to you!

    Cheers!

    Donna (& Anne)
    apronstringsblog.com

    ReplyDelete