This appetizer is a great seasonal one. How I love pumpkin! And I love goat cheese... so of course they're great together! This was definitely a more tedious appetizer to do, but I felt it was worth the work. :-)
I found it on Give Me Flour.
For the Dough:
2 cups of flour
1 1/3 stick of unsalted butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
1 egg beaten
3 tbs heavy cream or yogurt (more if needed)
1. Place flour, salt and butter in a big bowl. Work with your fingertips or with a pastry blender ‘til the mixture resembles coarse meal. You want to keep some visible pieces of butter
2. Beat together egg and 3 tbsp of cream. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients.
3. Using your fingertips, mix them smoothly by making circular movements. Don’t knead the dough.
4. Keep mixing. The dough should get together quickly and if it doesn’t happen, add one more tbsp of cream.
5. Don’t worry about spots, visible pieces of butter and stripes of cream; they are a good sign. Press to form a ball, cover with plastic film and keep on the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
IMPORTANT: You can keep this dough on freezer for about a month. Just place it on the fridge and let it defrost overnight before using.
For the filling:
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 small onion chopped
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tbs fresh sage chopped
1/8 tsp nutmeg
Salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 oz goat cheese
Sauté chopped onions and garlic in olive oil. Add all ingredients, (except cheese) mix well and let it cool completely before using.
Preheat oven to 350F˚.
Place dough in a floured surface and roll it out into a 1/8 inch thin layer. Using a 4 inch round cookie cutter cut the dough into circles. Place the pumpkin filling in the center of the circle, place a piece of cheese on top and fold the dough over into a semicircle. (I had goat cheese in log form, so I crumbled it to place on top) Crimp down the edges and arrange in a baking sheet. Keep doing the same process until the whole dough is gone. It makes approximately 24 pies.
Brush with eggwash, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 30 minutes or until golden in color.