Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Guiltless Alfredo Sauce

I've been visiting our best bites ALOT lately, and loving it!  As a matter of fact, all my cooking this week was inspired by them.  This is one of their recipes.  We had it last night on grilled chicken and fettucini.  It was delicious!  Also, it re-heats great!  Most Alfredo sauces seperate, so I was really happy with this, plus it's alot less calories.  I've never counted calories or cared much, my philosophy has been everything in moderation.  But, I know many ppl that do count, especially this time of year.  Plus my super hot husband is taking care to stay healthy so I certainly don't want to mess that up.


2 C low-fat milk 
1/3 C (3 oz) low fat cream cheese
2 T flour
1 t salt
1 T butter
3 garlic cloves
1 C grated Parmesan cheese
Toss the milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in a blender.  Process until smooth and set aside.

In a non-stick sauce pan, melt butter on med-high heat and add garlic.  Let the garlic saute for about 30 seconds, you don't want to burn it.  Then add milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3 or 4 minutes or until it just comes to a simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more. It should be much thicker now.


When it's nice and thickened remove the pan from the heat. Add the cheese, stir it up and then cover immediately.  Let stand for at least 10 minutes before using. It will continue to thicken upon standing. Also, if you have leftovers in the fridge, the sauce will thicken almost into a solid. Just re-heat and add a little milk and it will be back to normal again.

To make Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, I grilled some chicken that I had seasoned with Salt and Pepper (about 3 breasts), and cooked up some fettucini (1 box).  After draining the pasta, I toss with a little olive oil just to keep it from sticking.  Then I cut the chicken into bite size pieces, or you could do strips, I tossed it all together in a big bowl.  I don't cook with much salt, or use much salt.  But I will say for this recipe I added both salt and pepper to my plate.  

The family all loved it.  Even my picky eater.  :D

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for a great alfredo sauce - I have only been trying the jarred varieties - and they only taste "jarred". Thank you for your blog site - I love taking a peak at it for fresh ideas!

    ReplyDelete