Saturday, March 6, 2010

Yummy Oatmeal



If you are not an oatmeal fan, I would encourage you to try this one!  Oatmeal is a staple at our house.  It's nutritious and delicious.  But, I have talked to many that are not big oatmeal fans, (mainly those who want something healthy and filling) and I remember I felt that way once too.  I never liked it as a kid, and never really thought about it til I was an adult.  The problem was the way it was being served.  So here's my take on oatmeal.

1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick cook)
1 3/4 cups water
handful + dried craisins (or raisins or dried cherries)
handful of walnuts (or pecans)
handful of raw sunflower seeds (raw are the most beneficial for you)
all natural vanilla yogurt

Combine the oats, craisins and water, and cook on high until it comes to a boil, then turn it down to lowheat.  Meanwhile, place in bowls:
nuts and seeds (I used pecans today)

a dollop of yogurt

Top it with the oatmeal and mix it all together.

The oatmeal cooks very quickly so this is great even on a rushed morning and it will stay with you.  The oatmeal is done when it's a bit thick, but not sticking to the pan.  In the summer I like to use fresh fruit.  Strawberries and pecans are a great combination.  In the fall I like to make the oatmeal with raisins, and add apples to the bowl with a dash of cinnamon.  Dried fruit is great to cook in the oats, because it sweetens it and the fruit plumps.  But fresh fruit is best in the bowl, not cooked.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment