Sunday, October 16, 2011

Apple Cinnamon Chex Mix



I was at the orchard the other day buying some apples to dry.  The woman there was giving me some tips and we got to talking about recipes.  She mentioned that people were buying up her dried apples to make this chex mix.  So, I told her I was going to try it, and if I blogged about it I would mention her.  Then she told me the recipe was on the back of the cereal box.  :-)  But, I am mentioning her anyway.  I love Wells Orchards, and during apple season I always buy from them. So, if you live near me, you've got to check them out.  They are awesome!
So, this recipe is on the back of the Wheat Chex Cereal box, but I did make some changes.  Also, they give microwave directions, but I'd much rather cook it low and slow, plus the house smells fabulous!


4 cups Wheat Chex
4 cups Corn Chex
2 cups Rice Chex
1 cup pretzel sticks
1 cup peanuts
1 cup pepitas
1 stick of butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 cups dried apples
1 cup vanilla yogurt covered raisins


Preheat oven to 250.
Mix your cereal, pretzels, peanuts and pepitas in a large bowl.  In a seprate bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and spices.  Put in the microwave in 1 minute increments until the butter is melted and the mixture is boiling (about 2 minutes).  Pour the butter mixture on the dry mixture and stir well to coat.  Then spread the mixture on a large baking sheet(s).  Place in the preheated oven for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  I needed to baking sheets, and I rotated them each time I stirred them.


Let it cool completely and then add your dried apples and raisins.  Mix well, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to just say that this was AMAZING!! And I sat and ate most of it while watching a movie! SOOOOO yummy! Thanks for sharing Chellie!

    ReplyDelete