Sunday, September 18, 2011

Roasted Eggplant with Tomato and Mint



What do you think of eggplant? I get mixed reviews on it. I have to say that I used to not be such a fan, but I've found a few ways to prepare it that I really really like! This is one of them. I would encourage you to give it a try even if you don't think you like it. My favorite way to have it is roasted. Roasting it just really brings out the nutty flavor. Well, that's my opinion anyway. I would love to hear your thoughts, ideas or recipes as well. Please share!

3 tbs EVOO
2 medium eggplants (1 1/2 lbs total), cut into 1 inch rounds
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 ounces feta cheese (you can substitute ricotta if you don't like feta, it's much milder)
2 tbs finely chopped pickles
1/3 cup red onion, diced small
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 tbs minced fresh mint leaves
2 tsp red-wine vinegar, plus more if desired

Preheat oven to 425. Brush a rimmed baking sheet with 2 tbs oil. Arrange eggplant rounds in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast until undersides are browned, 25 minutes. Flip each round and season with salt and pepper. Roast until undersides are browned and eggplant is tender, about 10-12 minutes more.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mixe together 1 tbs oil, feta, pickles, onion, tomatoes, mint, and vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer eggplant to a serving platter and top each round with a spoonful of tomato mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment