Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bug cake

My son's birthday was a few weeks ago, but do to the illness, etc. that I have been talking about, I'm just now getting that post up.  This was definitely the easiest cake I have made so far. 
Start with a 9x13 cake and a dome type cake.  I just used an oven proof bowl and it was perfect. 
1.  after the cakes cool, put the 'mound' cake on top of the 9x13 cake, sort of toward the end.  Hold it on with frosting.
2.  Frost the rest of the cake.  I have to say, the frosting was delish.  I used 1/2 cup butter, 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, and some heavy cream.  Melt the first 2 together, then add the cream til you get the consistancy. 
3.  time to decorate!  I used chocolate grahm crackers, fudge covered grahm cookies, and chocolate creme filled cookies (like oreos, but w/chocolate creme, I used the Meijer brand).  Crush up the cookies, you need about 1 1/2 cups total, then sprinkle it on the top. 
4.  Place your gummy worms, plastic bugs, etc. 

Mmmmmm.... bugs! 


Close up of the mound.

2 comments:

  1. Chellie,
    Thanks so much for posting!!! I was a busy baker today and yesterday. Trying to see the bright side of staying home with a sick kiddo!!! Yesterday it was a lasagna and banana muffins. Today it was chili, your garlic herb bread, pumpkin muffins, and a chocolate puddin pie for the freezer.
    I so missed BSF today!!! Hope it was right on for you!
    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cake looks delicious and amazing! (So kid~friendly!). I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete