Sunday, January 29, 2012

Chili



This is my basic Chili recipe.  It is adapted from a weight watchers cook book called "5 and Under".
My chili recipe is really never the same twice.  It kind of depends on what I have in the house, but it always turns out great!  Who doesn't love a hot bowl of Chili on a cold winters day?!

1 tsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 can of chopped mild green chiles, drained
1 lb ground beef
2 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chili powder
3 cups dried beans, (once prepared this is about 3 cans of beans)  I like to use a variety
1 tbs cumin
1/2 tbs smoked paprika
Salt and pepper
Cheese, Sour Cream and Cilantro for serving and garnishing.

Sautee the onion in a large stockpot until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic, and chilis and cook for another minute.  Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking up as you go.  I use lean ground beef, so there is not a need to drain it, but if you like to, then go ahead.  Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer.  The longer it simmers, the better the flavor will be.  You can also do this one in the crockpot.  Just brown your ground beef, then put everything in the crockpot.  

As I mentioned, I never make this the same.  If I don't have green chilis, I omit them.  If I have bell peppers in the house that need to be used, I'll chop those up and add them too.  The main thing is getting the spices you like to the amount you like.  Sometimes I used the smoked paprika, and sometimes I don't.  This is not a spicy chili at all.  So, if you like spicy, then add some Franks Red Hot, or some Cayenne pepper.  

Also, I have a local source for beans, so I buy dried and prepare them in the pressure cooker.  Yes, it's a bit more work, but not too much effort for me.  I love having the freshest of ingredients.  But, this recipe is great with canned beans too.  Again, I like a variety, so I may do 1 cup cranberry beans, 1 cup pinto, and 1 cup kidney.  Sometimes I do a white bean or a black bean.  If you want more info on how to prepare them drop me an email or a comment.  The pressure cooker method is here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment