Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Pasty

I just got a new cookbook from my dear friend Julie called "Just 5 Things".  This recipe comes from it and is one I'm serving at my Christmas Eve Open House


I wish I could be 100 percent precise, but I've adapted this a bit.  The cookbook has it served in a larger portion as a lunch, but I switched it up a bit in order to make it more of an appetizer.  So I had to double in a half my ingredients, and I still had filling left over.  But it's so good I'll just serve it as a side.


4 1/2 sweet potatoes
1 15 oz tub ricotta cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesean cheese (please, get the real stuff and grate it yourself)
4 Tbs basil pesto
6 sheets frozen puff pastry thawed


Bake the sweet potatoes in a 400 degree oven until done.  This can be about an hour to an hour and a half depending on the size of your potatoes.  Just make sure they are soft inside.  Then slice them in half lengthwise and let them cool.


Once they're cooled, scoop out the insides and put in a bowl.  Combine the ricotta, parmesean, and pesto with the potatoes and mix well.


Lay out your pastry dough and cut in equal squares.  A pizza cutter works great for this.  I got 9 squares for each piece of pastry.  There's 2 per box and I used 3 boxes.  Then spoon a little of your potato mixture in the center and form a triangle.  Use a little water to seal the edges.


I brushed the top with a little bit of milk and placed them in a 425 degree oven.  Bake for about 10-12 minutes.  Make sure you spray your pan or they will stick.  I've made these up ahead of time and will be baking them from frozen.  So, my time may vary.





Here's what they look like after they're baked...



These tasted GREAT!  They're a great appetizer, side dish or lunch.  Be sure to let me know what you think if you try them.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment