Friday, February 11, 2011

Healthy Valentine Snack



Valentine's day is one of those super sweet, get your kid ramped up on sugar days.  I know most people don't care, but I do.  My children are not fun after that sugar high.  They're grumpy, and often times I don't recognize them.  This is a nice way to balance out the sugar.


Just use a small heart shaped cookie cutter and cut up some veggies.  You could do bread too, or do tortillas or pita bread and bake them for a couple minutes to crisp.   Here I've mixed up a simple ranch dip.  My husband had bought me a dip dish for christmas, you know the ones that you can put the ice on the bottom, and it keeps your dip cool.  He included this ranch dip mix.  So, nothing homemade here, but very tasty and easy.  Plus you're spending some time cutting up your veggies, so you might as well go easy on yourself.  :D  


I used red and orange peppers, and cucumbers.  I caught this idea from www.gourmetmomonthego.com  
Use an oven mit on your hand while cutting out your shapes so your palm doesn't become sore.  Also, use your scraps for stir fry or on your sandwiches or something.


Aren't they so cute?




For our Valentine dinner we are doing a Mystery Dinner and we're celebrating on Sunday.  You can get all the details of how to do this here.  Great idea!

4 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! Love, love, love it Chellie! Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello how cute is this...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! I have preschool snacks this week, looks like I have my idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found something you can use! I stopped by your blog... so fun!

      Delete